(DD-215: dp. 1215; l. 314'4"; b. 31'9"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Clemson)
The first Borie (DD-215) was launched 4 October 1919 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Patty Borie, great-grandniece of Secretary Borie; and commissioned 24 March 1920, Lieutenant Commander E. F. Clement in command.
In April 1920 Borie joined the United States Naval Detachment in Turkish Waters for service in the Black Sea. The following year she reported to Destroyer Division 38, Asiatic Fleet, and for the next four years alternated between the Philippine Islands, during the winter and Chefoo and Shanghai, China, during the summer. She then returned home and patrolled in the Caribbean until the spring of 1927 when she made a cruise to Europe. Borie remained with the Atlantic Fleet until 1929 when she began a three-year tour with the Asiatic Fleet.
Following conversion to a Squadron Leader at San Diego (1932-33) she joined Destroyer Squadron 2, Battle Force. She remained in the Pacific on normal destroyer duty until late 1939 and then transited the Panama Canal to join the Neutrality Patrol. She served on the Inshore Patrol, 15th Naval District, in Panama Bay, and later on patrol and escort in the Caribbean. The destroyer departed the Caribbean 26 June 1943 and on 30 July put to sea as a member of the hunter-killer group built around Card (CVE-11). Borie made four patrols with the Card group. On 1 November 1943, during the last patrol, she rammed and sank the surfaced German submarine U-405 in 49°00' N., 31°14' W. With 27 men lost and too badly damaged by the collision to be towed to port, Borie was sunk by Barry (DD-248) 2 November 1943.
Borie (DD-215) received three battle stars for her World War II service as well as the Presidential Unit Citation for her operations in the Card group.