(DD 184: dp. 1213; 1, 314'5"; b' 31'8"; dr, 9'4"; S 35 k.; cpl. 133; a. 4 4'', 2 :1", 12 21" TT.; cl.Lamberton)
The first Abbot (DD-184) was launched 4 July 1918 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; sponsored by Miss Louise Abbot Cooke, great-granddaughter of Commodore Abbot, commissioned 19 July 1919, lieutenant Commander W. N. Richardson, Jr., in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Abbot cruised along the Atlantic coast, in the Gulf of Mexico, and in Cuban waters until going out of commission 5 July 1922 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.
Recommissioned 17 June 1940, Abbot patrolled along the east coast for a brief time. She was decommissioned at Hailifax, Nova Scotia, 23 September 1940, and was transferred in the destroyer-land bases exchange to the British who renamed her HMS Charlestown.
HMS Charlestown. joined the 17th Destroyer Division and took part in minelaying operations from the west coast of, Scotland. Between assignments of' minelaying duty she assisted in the escort of convoys. Damaged in collision with the steamer Florizell off Harwich, England, during December 1944, she was reduced to reserve at Grangemouth, Scotland, and paid off from 15 January 1945 to be scrapped.