(DD-172: dp. 1191; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'2"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 133; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Little )
The first Anthony (DD-172) was launched 10 August 1918 by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif.; Sponsored by Miss Grace Heathcote; commissioned 19 June 1919 Commander D. A. Scott in command; and reported to Destroyer Division Pacific. Anthony operated on the west coast between San Diego and Bremerton, Wash., until June 1921. She sailed 8 September 1919 from San Francisco to Port Angeles, Wash., to attend the ceremonies of the newly organized Pacific Fleet. Anthony visited Victoria, British Columbia, 11 September and returned Secretary of the Navy Daniels to Bremerton on 12 September. On 13 September she passed review, with other units of the fleet, before President Wilson in Oregon (BB-3) and, on 14 September before the Secretary of the Navy.
On 16 November 1920 Anthony was designated a light minelayer. In October 1921 she joined Mine Division 1, Mine Squadron 2 and operated in the Pearl Harbor are until placed out of commission 30 June 1922 at Pearl Harbor. She was towed to San Diego in 1937 used as a target, and sunk off the California coast 22 July 1937.