(DD-169: dp. 1,060; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8", dr. 9'2" s. 35 k.; cpl. 101; a. 4 4", 12 21" tt., 1 dcp.; cl.Wickes)
The second Foote (DD-169) was launched 14 December 1918 by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Lelia F. Cady, daughter of Admiral Foote; and commissioned 21 March 1919, Lieutenant Commander D. H. Stuart in command
Foote sailed from Boston 3 May 1919 to take up an observation station off Newfoundland for the historic first aerial crossing of the Atlantic, made later that month by Navy seaplanes. She returned to Boston 22 May to complete her interrupted fitting out, then took part in training operations until sailing from Newport 27 August bound for a tour of duty with Naval Forces European Waters. From September through December, she served in the Adriatic, then called at Italian and French ports homeward bound. Arriving at Boston 12 February 1920, she was placed in reserve 24 February for repairs there and at Charleston.
In the summer of 1921, Foote operated with 50 percent of her complement during summer target practice in Narragansett Bay, and returning to Charleston, she lay there and at Boston for alterations and repairs until decommissioned at Philadelphia 6 July 1922. Recommissioned 2 July 1940, Foote operated on patrol out of Charleston, S.C., until sailing 7 September for Halifax, Nova Scotia. There, on 23 September 1940, she was decommissioned and transferred to the Royal Navy in the destroyers for land bases exchange.
Commissioned as HMS Roxborough 23 September1940, the destroyer crossed the Atlantic to join the Western Approaches Command, guarding convoys during the dangerous last leg of their voyages into British ports. In March 1942, Roxborough took up western Atlantic escort duty out of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Returning to the Tyne 10 January 1944, Roxborough lay in reserve there until transferred to Russia 1 August 1944. She was returned to Great Britain 7 February 1949 after her Russian service as Zhostkpi.