(DD-126; dp. 1211; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'4"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 136; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT`; cl. Tattnall)
The second Badger (DD-126) was launched 24 August 1918 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. Henry F. Bryan, granddaughter of Commodore Badger; commissioned 29 May 1919, Commander Q. T. Swasey in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
Following commissioning, Badger steamed to the Mediterranean where she cruised until August 1919. Upon her return to the east coast she was assigned to the Pacific Fleet, arriving at San Diego in September. She served at various naval bases on the west coast until May 1922 when she was placed out of commission.
Upon recommissioning in January 1930 Badger served with the Battle Force and Scouting Force in the Pacific. In April 1933 she returned to the Atlantic and thereafter participated in coastal cruises and reserve training. During 1938-39 she operated with Special Squadron 4 based at Villefranche, France. Upon her return to Norfolk, she Joined Destroyer Division 53, Patrol Force with additional summer assignments to the Midshipmen Coastal Cruise Detachment.
Between December 1941 and October 1944 Badger operated as a convoy escort in the Atlantic and Caribbean. Twice she escorted convoys to North Africa (15 October -28 November 1943 and 15 February-24 March 1944), and for a brief period (27 June -1 September 1943) she served as a unit of anti-submarine hunter killer groups 21.12 and 21.16.
In October 1944 Badger transited the Panama Canal and conducted anti submarine training off Balboa, C. Z. Between 15 November 1944 and 20 June 1945 Badger served with the Anti-Submarine Development Detachment, Port Everglades, Fla., conducting anti-submarine development exercises. She arrived at Philadelphia 22 June 1945 and was decommissioned 20 July. She was sold 30 November 1945.Badger received one battle star while operating with TG 21.12.