From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A sound on the coast of South Carolina, north of Charleston.
(CVE - 15: dp. 11,000; l. 496'; b. 69'6"; d. 23'¼"; s. 18 k.; cpl. 890;.a. 3 4"; cl. Bogue)
Hamlin (CVE-15) was one of a large group of escort carriers built on Maritime Commission C-3 hulls and transferred to the British under lend-lease during World War II. Launched by Western Pipe & Steel Co., San Francisco, Calif., 5 March 1942, as AVG-15, aircraft escort vessel, she was sponsored by Mrs. William H. Shea. Her designation was changed to ACV-15, auxiliary aircraft carrier, 20 August 1942, and she was acquired and simultaneously transferred to the United Kingdom 21 December 1942. Hamlin's designation was changed to CVE-15, escort aircraft carrier, 15 July 1943.
Renamed HMS Stalker, the escort carrier played a vital part in allied operations in the Atlantic. She participated in the Salerno landings in September 1943, providing effective on the spot air support for assault forces. Stalker also took part in the important landings in southern France in August 1944. Returned to the United States 29 December 1945, she was struck from the Navy List 20 March 1946 and sold to Waterman Steamship Corp. of Mobile, Ala., 18 December 1946. Waterman in turn sold her to The Netherlands in August 1947 where she was converted to a merchant ship and now sails to the Far East as Riouw.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)