From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A former name retained.
(AO: dp. 12,000; l. 411'6"; b. 50'1"; d. 24'8"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 65; a. 2 4")
Gold Shell was built in 1916 by Harlan and Hollingsworth, Wilmington, Del.; chartered from Shell Oil Co.; and commissioned 8 August 1917, Comdr. David R. Fleming in command.
Gold Shell departed Philadelphia 26 August 1917 for Plymouth, England, and until 10 December 1918 carried fuel oil to various European ports in support of Allied forces. She made a total of nine voyages to such ports as Spithead, Scapa Flow, Tobermory, and Brest, arriving at New York after her last crossing 10 December 1918. Gold Shell entered the New York Navy Yard to be simultaneously decommissioned and returned to her former owner 5 March 1919.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)