From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Former name retained. (The cargo ship carried this name when acquired).
(AK: dp. 12,600 (n.); l. 416'6"; b. 53'; dr. 26'5"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 77; a. 1 4", 1 3")
The first Fresno (No. 3063), a cargo ship, was built in 1918 by Moore-Scott Shipbuilding Co., Oakland, Calif.; chartered by the Navy 15 June 1918; and commissioned 22 June 1918, Lieutenant Commander G. W. Anderson, USNRF, in command.
Fresno loaded flour and Navy stores at Mare Island Navy Yard, and sailed 27 June 1918 for New York to load coal, arriving 31 July. Five days later she sailed in convoy for France, en route observing a gunfire attack by a submarine on one of the destroyers guarding her convoy. She discharged her cargo at Le Havre, loaded ballast at Devonport, England, and sailed for Tompkinsville, Staten Island, N.Y., 14 September. On 29 September, while about 127 miles east of Atlantic City, N.J., she rescued the survivors of a wrecked seaplane, with whom she made port later that day.
After three more voyages to French ports with general cargo, Fresno was decommissioned at New York 4 August 1919, and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)