From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Merchant name retained.
(AK: dp. 12,163 (n.); l. 395'1"; b. 55'; dr. 27'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 70; a. 1 6", 1 6-pdr.)
Fairmont (No. 2429), a cargo ship, was launched 8 December 1917 by New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N. J.; acquired by the Navy 18 December 1918; and commissioned the next day, Lieutenant Commander E. H. Wider, USNRF, in command.
Between 6 March 1918 and 21 November 1918, Fairmont made four voyages in convoy to France carrying cargo to supply the American Expeditionary Force. Her last naval voyage, from 20 December 1918 to 1 February 1919, was with a cargo of flour and coal, which she carried to Rotterdam, Holland, for use by American agencies in the relief of war-caused famine in Europe. Fairmont was decommissioned 28 February 1919, and the same day transferred to the Shipping Board for return to her owner.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)