From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Former name retained.
(AK: lbp. 317'6"; b. 40'2"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 42; a. 2 3") Frederick Luckenbach, a cargo ship, was built in 1888 by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields, England, as Charters Towers; also known in merchant service as San Mateo; acquired by the Navy 2 October 1918; and commissioned 5 October 1918, Lieutenant Commander H. A. Lewell, USNRF, in command.
Acquired at Cardiff, Wales Frederick Luckenbach carried coal for use by the Army from Cardiff and Belfast to French ports until 20 March 1919, when she sailed from Cardiff for New York City. Here she was decommissioned 7 May 1919, and returned to her owner.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)