From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Edgar F. Luckenbach
Former name retained.
(AK: l. 442'2"; b. 57'3'; dr. 31'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 70; a. 1 5",1 3")
Edgar F. Luckenbach (No. 4597), a cargo ship, was built in 1916 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; chartered by the Army with an Armed Guard crew aboard until transferred to the Navy 11 July 1918; converted for naval service at New Orleans, La.; and commissioned 11 July 1918, Lieutenant Commander A. H. Sears, USNRF, in command.
Edgar F. Luckenbach sailed from New Or1eans 14 July 1918 and joined a convoy at New York bound for France. She offloaded her Army cargo at Verdon, La Pallice, Bordeaux, and Royans [sic; Royan], then returned to Newport News 26 September. She made a second voyage between New York and Marseilles, then was transferred from the Naval Overseas Transportation Service to the Cruiser and Transport Force to bring home sick, wounded, and convalescent troops. From 1 March to 14 October 1919 she made five such voyages to France. Arriving Norfolk, she was decommissioned and returned to her owner 30 October 1919.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)