From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A county in North Carolina.
The first Edgecombe (No. 3894), a cargo ship, was built in 1918 by Skinner and Eddy, Seattle, Wash.; transferred to the Navy from the Shipping Board 24 December 1918; converted by Puget Sound Navy Yard; and commissioned 24 December 1918, Lieutenant Commander J. W. Baldwin, USNRF, in command.
Edgecombe sailed from Tacoma 16 January 1919 with a cargo of flour for use by the Food Administration in European famine relief. She called at Norfolk, then sailed 22 February for Falmouth and Rotterdam, where she discharged. Edgecombe visited Plymouth before sailing for New Orleans, which she reached 21 April 1919. Four days later she was decommissioned and returned to the Shipping Board for disposal.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)