From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Shipping Board name retained.
(AK: dp. 14,606; lbp. 425'; b.53'8"; dr.28'4"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 70)
Eastern Shore (No. 3500), a cargo ship, was built in September 1918 by Harima Dockyard Co., Ltd., Harima, Japan, for the U.S. Shipping Board; converted for naval use at Puget Sound Navy Yard; transferred from the Shipping Board 1 December 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander F. G. Bucknam, USNR, in command.
After loading a cargo of flour at Seattle, Eastern Shore departed Puget Sound Navy Yard 2 January 1919, arriving New York 29 January for repairs. She got underway, 10 February, under orders from the Food Administration. At Gibraltar she was routed on to Roumania, arriving at Constanza 15 March. Her flour was discharged to barges and hurried up the Danube to the starving millions of eastern Europe.
Eastern Shore sailed from Constanza 10 April, touching at Gibraltar. She arrived at New York 18 May to discharge her cargo and ballast and disembark her lone passenger, a special envoy of the Bulgarian Government.
Eastern Shore was decommissioned 27 May 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)