From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Former name retained.
(AK: dp. 15,963; l. 456'5"; b. 57'2"; dr. 32'; s. 15 k.; cpl. 62; a. 2 5")
Edward Luckenbach (No. 1662), a cargo ship, was built in 1916 by Fore River Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; transferred to the Navy from the Shipping Board 29 August 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander A. C. Fickett, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Edward Luckenbach sailed from New York 18 September 1918 with Army cargo for Marseilles. Returning to New York 22 November she was converted by the Army to a troop transport. On 18 December she was transferred to the Cruiser and Transport Force, Newport News Division. She made three voyages from New York and Newport News with cargo for St. Nazaire, returning with patients, convalescents, troops, and casuals to the United States. She was unable to continue her fourth voyage from Hampton Roads because of engine trouble. She was towed to Boston, decommissioned 6 August 1919 and delivered to the Shipping Board the same day for return to her owner.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)