From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Villages in New York and Ohio.
Constantia was built in 1890 by Barclay, Curle and Co., Ltd., Glasgow, Scotland, as Adelheid; transferred to the Navy in 1918 from the United States Shipping Board; converted at New Orleans, La.; and commissioned 22 April 1918, Lieutenant Commander P. F. Johnsen, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Constantia sailed from New Orleans 6 May 1918 for New York, arriving 15 May. Joining a convoy she sailed for Rochefort, France, where she unloaded cargo from 7 to 21 June before returning to Norfolk 10 July. She was decommissioned 13 July 1918 and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.