From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Merchant name retained.
AC: dp. 8,060 l. 368' b. 47'
dr. 22'6" s. 14 k. cpl. 62 a. 2 x 3"
Cauto (No. 1538) was launched in 1916 by Seattle Construction and Dry Dock Co., Seattle, Wash.; acquired by the Navy from the Shipping Board 12 July 1918; commissioned 13 July 1918, Lieutenant Commander J. R. Curtis, USNRF, in command; outfitted at Philadelphia; and reported to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service.
Between 21 July 1918 and 9 February 1919, Cauto made three transatlantic voyages carrying supplies for the American Expeditionary Force in France. She was decommissioned at Philadelphia 22 February 1919, and returned to her owner.
Transcribed by: email@example.com
HTML conversion by: EPM
Date: 6 Mar 1999