From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Former name retained.
AP: dp. 14,457 l. 560' b. 65'4"
s. 16 k. cpl. 450
Cap Finisterre was launched in 1911 by Blohm and Voss, Hamburg, Germany; allocated to the Shipping Board by the Inter-allied Maritime Council after she was delivered under terms of the armistice by her German crew at Southend, England; and acquired and commissioned by the Navy at Southend 11 April 1919, Commander F. R. McCrary in command.
Cap Finisterre departed Southend 12 April 1919 for Brest, France, where she embarked homeward-bound servicemen. She disembarked her passengers at New York 5 May, and between 17 May and 17 August, made three voyages between New York and Brest returning Army troops and civilians. On her first two east-bound passages she transported replacement troops for the Army of Occupation.
Arriving at New York 17 August 1919, Cap Finisterre was towed to New York Navy Yard for survey and reconditioning. She was towed to Brooklyn 25 November 1919, decommissioned, and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.
Transcribed by: firstname.lastname@example.org
HTML conversion by: epm
Date: 18 Mar 1999