From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Beaufort is a town in South Carolina.
(AK: dp. 4565; l. 288'10"; b. 40'; dr. 18'4"; s. 8 k. cpl. 92; a. 4 3")
The second Beaufort (No. 3008) was built in 1909 by H. Koch A. G., Lubeek, Germany, as the German collier Rheingraf (later renamed Rudolph Blumberg); seized at Pensacola, Fla., 6 April 1917, fitted out at New Orleans; and commissioned 20 September 1917, Lieutenant Commander W. M. Gifford, USNRF, in command.
Beaufort departed Staten Island, N. Y., 25 October 1917 for France. She remained in European waters until 7 March 1919 serving on the cross-Channel coal service. She returned to Hampton Roads, Va., 19 April and joined Train, Atlantic Fleet. In 1920 she was classified AK-6. She continued to operate off the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean on supply missions until November 1925. Decommissioned 23 December 1925 at Norfolk Navy Yard, she was sold 22 October 1926.