Armament 2 5"
Corson (AVP-37) was launched 16 July 1944 by Lake Washington Shipyards, Houghton, Wash., sponsored by Mrs. G. A. Hatton; commissioned 3 December 1944, Commander S. P. Weller in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Corson sailed from San Diego 12 February 1945 to tend planes briefly at Pearl Harbor and Eniwetok, sailing on to reach Ulithi 1 April. She remained on duty at Ulithi, with the exception of two voyages to the Palaus in May and participation in the bombardment of Eil Malk Island on 7 May until 24 June. She served at Eniwetok from 1 July to 7 August and at Okinawa from 15 August to 10 September.
Corson dropped anchor at Nagasaki 11 September 1945, and tended planes there, at Sasebo, and in Hiro Wan until 20 January 1946, when she sailed for Pearl Harbor and Alameda, arriving 9 February. Corson was placed out of commission in reserve 21 June 1946.
Recommissioned 13 February 1951, Corson departed Long Beach 17 April for Okinawa, where she served as station tender from 11 May to 7 October. She returned to Alameda 26 October, and tended seaplanes at San Diego until her next tour of duty in the Western Pacific from 8 December 1952 to 4 August 1953. During this cruise, she tended planes in Japan, Okinawa, and the Pescadores.
Corson returned to the western Pacific to tend seaplanes off Japan from 4 January to 5 August 1954, and again from 17 January 1955 to 24 July. During this tour, she served as station tender at Hong Kong, conducted reserve training at Subic Bay, laid a seadrome in the Pescadores, acted as advance base support at Keelung, and served as plane guard off Indonesia for Air Force jet aircraft flying to Bangkok on a good-will mission. Returning to Alameda, Corson was again placed out of commission in reserve 9 March 1956.