From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Bering Strait, between Siberia and Alaska, connects the Arctic Ocean and Bering Sea.
(AVP-34: dp. 1766; l. 310'9"; b. 41'2"; dr. 13'6"; s. 18.2 k.; cpl. 215; a. 1 5"; cl. Barnegat)
Bering Strait was launched 15 January 1944 by Lake Washington Shipyards, Houghton, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. George F. Cornwall, and commissioned 19 July 1944 Commander W. D. Innis in command.
Following shakedown off the west coast and a training period in Hawaiian waters, Bering Strait proceeded to the Marianas where she served as a tender to a squadron of air-sea rescue planes (4-15 March). She then moved with her squadron to Okinawa where she remained until 30 December. Between 15 March and 30 December Bering Strait's planes rescued 193 airmen and sailors. Bering Strait went out of commission in reserve at Alameda, Calif., 21 June 1946 and was loaned to the Coast Guard 14 September 1948.
Bering Strait received three battle stars for her World War II service.