Matagorda (AVP-22) was laid down by Boston Navy Yard, Boston, Mass., 6 September 1940; launched 18 March 1941; sponsored by Miss Nancy Rowland Brand; and commissioned at Boston 16 December 1941, Comdr. Stanley J. Michael in command.
Matagorda remained at Boston until 3 April 1942 when she departed for shakedown and training in Chesapeake Bay. After returning to Boston 22 April, she joined PatWingLant and loaded torpedoes and ordnance stores at Newport, R.I. Thence, between 12 and 25 May, she sailed to Seymour Island, Galapagos, where she relieved Osmond Ingram (AVD-2) and began tending seaplanes of PatWing 3. She returned to Coco Solo 20 June; escorted merchant ships to Cuba and Jamaica; and resumed seaplane-tending duty 22 July. She operated out of Puerto Castilla, Honduras, and Cartagena, Colombia, until returning to the Canal Zone 12 November. Following a supply and escort run to Puejrto Rico and Trinidad, she departed Port-of-Spain the 23rd and on 4 December arrived Boston for alterations and overhaul.
Between 5 and 14 January 1943 Matagorda carried troops and supplies to Argentia, Newfoundland, and back. After loading aviation supplies at Norfolk, she returned to San Juan 11 February. During the next 5 months she operated primarily out of Puerto Rico, escorting merchant ships and transporting ordnance and aviation. supplies to bases in the Caribbean. Assigned runs sent her to the Virgin Islands, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, and Trinidad.
Matagorda departed San Juan 3 August and steamed via Bermuda and Norfolk to Argentia where she arrived 26 August. On the 28th she joined Convoy UT-1 and steamed to the United Kingdom, arriving Pembroke, Wales, 4 September. After unloading cargo, she sailed via Iceland and Boston to Norfolk arriving 27 September. Between 5 October and 5 March 1944 she made two more round trips across the Atlantic. She carried men and cargo to Pembroke and Bristol and made escort and supply runs to Casablanca and Gibraltar.
Departing Boston 18 April, Matagorda loaded seaplane supplies at Bayonne, N.J., and sailed the 22d for Brazil, reaching Recife 6 May. During the better part of the next year she conducted extensive training and supply operations and ranged Brazilian waters from Belem to Florianopolls. In late May and again in July she tended seaplanes at Florianopolis. She interrupted this duty 24-25 July when she searched for and rescued the entire crew of 67 men from the American merchant ship SS William Gaston, torpedoed late the 23d off the Brazilian coast. Again, while operating out of Fortaleza, she rescued five survivors of a downed PBY5 plus the crew from an assisting PBM on 29 August.
Matagorda made numerous runs along the coast during supply and training missions. Based at Recife, she visited many Brazilian ports including Victoria, Natal, the island of Fernando de Noronha, Bahia, and Rio de Janeiro. She departed Recife I April 1945 , touched briefly at San Juan, and reached Norfolk 14 April. From 2 June to 6 July she made two runs to Bermuda and Puerto Rico, returning to Norfolk with men of seaplane squadrons.
Matagorda steamed to New York 10 July to begin conversion to a press information ship. As such her mission would be to provide all proper news facilities for the press and transport them to the coast of Japan where they would cover the projected operations "Olympic" and "Coronet", the invasion of Japan. Reclassified AG-122 on 30 July, her conversion was halted in early September when Japan surrendered. Reclassified AVP-22 from 10 September, she sailed to Norfolk 17 October and on the 31st departed for Orange, Texas. Arriving there 5 November, she decommissioned 20 February and joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet Group at Orange, Tex. Reactivated in early 1949, Matagorda was transferred to the Coast Guard 7 March 1949 and commissioned on the same day as USCGC Matagorda (WAVP-373). Reclassified WHEC-373 on 1 May 1966 and transferred to the Coast Guard permanently in October 1966, she continued her weather ship duties until decommissioned in mid-1968 at the Sand Island Coast Guard Base, Honolulu, Hawaii. Matagorda was used as a target to destruction in early 1969.