An Indian word meaning "North Wind."
ATA-213 was authorized ATR-140; reclassified ATA-213 on 15 May 1944; launched 9 April 1945 by the Gulfport Boiler & Welding Works, Port Arthur, Tex.; and commissioned 1 June 1945, Lt. Vincent A. Galterio, USNR, in command.
After shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico, ATA-213 cleared New Orleans 4 July 1945, towing a barracks ship and floating derricks to the Marshall Islands. The tug arrived Majuro 24 September, and after several towing assignments, returned Pearl Harb or 17 October where she operated until sailing for the East Coast 28 June 1946.
Following towing assignments enroute, the tug arrived Boston 28 September to serve in the 1st Naval District. ATA-213 was named Keywadin 16 January 1948, and from that time through 1964 she performed various towing duties along the Atlant ic coast. She operated out of Boston engaging in essential although unheralded assignments of the U.S. Navy. She towed disabled ships to port for repairs; towed targets in gunnery exercises; and delivered mail. Although operating primarily in the 1st a nd 4th Naval Districts, Keywadin frequently cruised south to Charleston, S.C., and Mayport, Fla., towing barges and ships for overhaul. During October 1964 the tug commenced torpedo recovery services for patrol aircraft, continuing this duty for t he next 2 months. Keywadni continues to serve in the 1st Naval District through 1967.