From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A nymph in Greek mythology, enamored of Apollo.
AS-26: dp. 7,150 l. 492' b. 69'6" dr. 23' s. 18 k. cpl. 1,460 a. 1 x 5", 4 x 3" cl. Aegir
Clytie (AS-26) was launched 26 November 1943 by Ingalls Shipbuilding Co., Pascagoula, Miss., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. C. H. Leavitt; transferred to the Navy 26 February 1944; converted at Bethlehem Steel Corp., Hoboken, N.J.; and commissioned 18 January 1945, Commander C. H. Walker in command.
Clytie sailed from New London 21 February 1945 for Brisbane, and Fremantle, Australia, where she tended submarines of the 7th Fleet from 4 April to 13 September. Returning to New London 17 October, Clytie remained there except for a brief overhaul at Philadelphia until placed out of commission in reserve 5 October 1946.