Speed 12 k
Armament 1 3"
The first Protector (ARS-14) was laid down by Colberg Boat Works, Stockton, Calif., 30 April 1942, launched 27 April 1943 sponsored by Mrs. F. S. M. Harris, and commissioned 28 December 1943, Lt. Comdr. Myron E. McFarland in command.
After training and conducting salvage operations off the west coast, Protector sailed from Seattle for Alaskan waters, arriving 25 June. Attached to the Alaskan Sea Frontier Protector performed salvage and diving operations at various Alaskan stations until April 1945. She then returned to California, whence she sailed for the Marshalls, arriving at Eniwetok Atoll 2 August.
Protector was engaged in salvage of a sunken aircraft off Parry Island until 15 September when she sailed for Yokosuka, arriving 26 September. She conducted salvage operations at Yokosuka until 11 November, then assisted SS Drecel Victory, aground in the vicinity of Fort No.2, Tokyo Bay.
On 7 January 1946, Protector departed Yokosuka, sailing via Pearl Harbor to San Francisco as escort and tow for Seekonk (AOG-20). On 24 February 1946 she arrived at San Francisco where she decommissioned 15 May. She was struck from the List of Navy Vessels 8 October 1946, transferred to the Maritime Commission; and sold 30 December 1946 to Mr. Glen R. Butt of Cambridge, Mass.