Speed 12 k
Armament 8 40mm, 8 20mm
Quirinus (ARL-39), originally LST-1161, was laid down 3 March 1945 by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, III.; launched 4 June 1945; and placed in reduced commission 15 June 1945.
Following initial commissioning, Quirinus steamed down the Mississippi River to New Orleans, thence proceeded to Baltimore where she decommissioned for the completion of conversion to a landing craft repair vessel. Commissioned in full 6 November 1945, Lt. Comdr. John B. Darrow in command she completed shakedown in Chesapeake Bay and, on 23 January 1946, got underway for the Caribbean.
On the 29th, she reported to TU 29.6.1 at Guantanamo Bay, and remained there until she returned, briefly, to Norfolk in May. Reassigned to the 8th Fleet (TG 80.7), she anchored in Guantanamo Bay again 18 April. Abbreviated tours there and at Trinidad preceded her return to Norfolk 8 June. She operated as a unit of Boat Pool No. 4 until reporting for duty with the 2nd Task Fleet, 1 February 1947. For the next six weeks, she cruised in the Caribbean, returning to Norfolk 15 March. In late June, she shifted to Charleston to begin inactivation. Officially becoming a unit of the Florida Group Atlantic Reserve Fleet on the 27th, she decommissioned and was berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla., until June 1962. She was then transferred on loan, under the Military Assistance Program, to the government of Venezuela. Renamed Guayana (T-18), she serves that country into 1970.