From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A mythological character, symbolic of the
destructive forces of nature.
ARL - 33: dp. 2,125 l. 328' b. 50'
dr. 14' s. 12 k. cpl. 253 a 1 x 3"
Chimaera was launched 30 March 1945 by Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, Ill.; sponsored by Mrs. D. L. Mahoney; placed in partial commission 11 April 1945; decommissioned 7 May 1945 for conversion at Baltimore, Md.; and commissioned in full 7 August 1945, Lieutenant F. E. Clerk, Jr., USNR, in command.
Sailing from Norfolk 18 September 1945,
Chimaera arrived at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 21 September to
serve as flagship for Commander, St. John's River Reserve Group,
Atlantic Fleet, until 1 March 1946. On 29 April, she cleared for San
Pedro, Calif., arriving 21 May. Local operations were conducted until
17 September when she got underway for the western Pacific. She
called at Pearl Harbor and arrived at Tsingtao, China, 23 October, to
provide services to the 7th Fleet. On 14 October 1947 she departed
Tsingtao for San Pedro. Chimaera was placed out of
commission in reserve 8 March 1948.
Transcribed by: firstname.lastname@example.org
HTML conversion by: EPM
Date: 24 Jan 1999