The second largest and most southerly of the Philippine Islands.
(ARG-3: dp. 4,621 (lt.); l. 442'; b. 57'; dr. 23'; s. 13 k; cpl. 574; a. 1 5", 3 3", 4 40mm.; cl. Luzon; T EC-2-S-Cl )
The second Mindanao (ARG-3) was built as Elbert Hubbard (MCE-983) under Maritime Commission contract by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard, Inc., Baltimore, Md.; launched 13 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. R. Spalding; acquired by the Navy 20 May 1943; and commissioned as Mindanao (ARG-3) 6 November 1943, Comdr. G. B. Evans in command.
After shakedown in ChePapeake Bay, Miindanao joined TG 29.7 on 20 December 1943, and sailed for Cuba, the Panama Canal, and Noumea, New Caledonia, arriving 27 January 1944 to report for duty with Service Squadron South Pacific. The internal combustion engine repair ship immediately found herself with more than enough work. On 25 February she sailed to continue her vital task at Espiritu Santo, and in September she arrived at 7 Manus to serve the forces staging for the Philippine campaign.
Now with TG 30.9, she was anchored in Seeadler Harbor on the morning of 10 November, when at about 0850 ammunition ship Mount Hood (AE-11) blew up. Mindanao, 350 yards nwny, suffered extensive damage particularly to her superstructure, and aft. Of her crew, 180 were killed or wounded. The survivors, with Seabees from shore, immediately began to aid the wounded and clear the debris, a job which took 7 days. Repairs began on the 18th, performeded by her own crew with aid again from Seabees, as well as men and equipment from Medusa. By 21 Deeember, Mindanao was ready to resume her key function in repairing engines for other ships.
After a brief voyage to the Solomons in February and March 1945, Mindanao arrived at Ulithi 27 Marah to prepare ships for the Okinawn campaign. There she served until 9 October, when she sailed for periods of duty at Okinawa and Shanghai.
Her duty supporting the occupation forces complete, Mindanao got underway for home 26 March 1946. She called at San Pedro, Calif.; Balboa and Colon, C.Z.; New Orleans, La; and Galveston, Tex. before arriving Orange, Tex., 12 July. She decommissioned there 17 Mny 1947 to join the Reserve Fleet, and remained nt Orange even after being transferred to the Maritime Commission in 1961. In September 1962 she joined the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Beaumout, Tex., where she remains into 1969.