From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Blackford is a county in Indiana.
(APB-45: dp. 2189; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'2"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 123; a. 8 40 mm.; cl. Benewah)
LST-1111 was reclassified AKS-16, 8 December 1944 and renamed Blackford. On 6 March 1945 she was again reclassified, becoming APB-45. Blackford (APB-45) was launched 9 April 1945 by Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Co., Evansville, Ind.; sponsored by Mrs. Henry E. Russell, wife of Lieutenant Commander Russell, USNR; fitted out by Naval Supply Depot, New Orleans, La.; and commissioned 9 June 1945, Lieutenant A. E. Lorance, Jr., USNR, in command.
Arriving at Pearl Harbor 19 August 1945 Blackford joined the 3rd Amphibious Force. During the next eight months she served at Eniwetok, Ulithi, Leyte, and Tokyo Bay as a floating barracks. She departed Yokosuka, Japan, 7 April and arrived at New Orleans 14 May 1946. Moving to Orange, Tex., 10 June, she went out of commission in reserve there 26 April 1947.