Speed 16 k
Complement 356, Troop 3,224
Armament 4 5", 8 1.1", 16 20mm
Class General A.O. Squier
General Harry Taylor (AP-145) was launched 10 October 1943 under Maritime Commission contract by Kaiser Co., Inc., Yard 3, Richmond, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. Mamie M. McHugh, acquired by the Navy 29 March 1944, placed in ferry commission 1 April 1944 for transfer to Portland, Oreg., for conversion to a transport by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash.; decommissioned 10 April 1944; and commissioned in full 8 May 1944 at Portland, Captain J. L. Wyatt in command.
Following shakedown off San Diego, General Harry Taylor sailed from San Francisco 23 June 1944 with troop reinforcements for Milne Bay, New Guinea. After returning to San Francisco 3 August with veterans of the Guadalcanal campaign embarked, she continued transport voyages between San Francisco and island bases in the Western Pacific Ocean. During the next 10 months she steamed to New Guinea, the Solomons, New Caledonia, the Marianas, the New Hebrides, the Palaus, and the Philippines, carrying troops and supplies for America's vast amphibious sweep across the ocean to Japan until 29 June 1945 when she departed San Francisco for duty in the Atlantic.
General Harry Taylor made two "Magic-Carpet" voyages to Marseilles and returned, carrying veterans of the European fighting. Next she sailed twice to Karachi, India, via the Suez Canal. Returning to New York 3 January 1946, the transport then began the first of four voyages to Bremerhaven, Germany, and Le Havre France. She reached New York again 21 May 1946 and decommissioned 13 June at Baltimore.
The transport served for a time with the Army Transport Service, and was reacquired by the Navy 1 March 1950 for use by MSTS. Her early duties consisted mainly of carrying troops, dependents, and large numbers of European refugees. General Harry Taylor operated in a typical year to the Caribbean, Mediterranean, and to northern Europe. In 1957 the ship took part in the Hungarian Relief program, transporting several thousand refugees of the valiant but abortive Hungarian Revolution to Australia. She was placed in ready reserve 19 September 1957; transferred back to the Maritime Administration 10 July 1958; and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Beaumont, Tex. General Harry Taylor was transferred to the Air force 15 July l961 and renamed General Hoyt S. Vandenberg (T-AGM-10). On 1 July 1964 she was acquired by the Navy and now is operated by MSTS in the Atlantic.