Speed 16.5 k
Complement 356, Troop 3,823
Armament 4 5"
Class General G. O. Squier
General G. O. Squier (AP-130) was launched 11 November 1942 under Maritime Commission contract by the Kaiser Co., Richmond, Calif.; sponsored by Miss Mary Ann Somersvell; acquired 30 August 1943 and commissioned 2 October, Captain A. E. Uehlinger i n Command.
General G. O. Squier made three round-trip, troop carrying voyages out of San Francisco from 29 October 1943 to 30 March 1944 to Noumea; Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Wallis Island, Samoa, Noumea, and Honolulu respectively. Underway again from San Fr ancisco 7 April she brought troops to Noumea and Milne Bay before heading for Norfolk, where she arrived 2 June. On l July the ship departed with 3,300 troops for Italy, and debarked them at Naples. Following a voyage thence to Oran and back, General C . O. Squier joined Task Force 87 off Naples 13 August in preparation for Operation "Dragoon," the amphibious invasion of Southern France.
Arriving off Cap Camarat 15 August, she debarked her troops into waiting LCI's which put them ashore to become another deadly prong thrust deeply into Hilter's "Heartland." The next day she headed for Oran to bring nearly 3,000 troops back to the Cap Cam arat beachhead on the 30th. General G. O. Squier returned to New York 26 September with casualties and prisoners of war embarked at Naples.
From 14 October 1944 to 14 September 1945, she made 10 transatlantic troop carrying and rotation voyages: 7 from New York, 2 from Norfolk, and 1 from Boston, to ports in the United Kingdom (Plymouth, Southampton, and Avonmouth) and France (Le Havre and M arseilles. Between 20 September 1945 and 18 June 1946, six other round-trip, "Magic-Carpet" voyages out of New York at war's end brought home veterans from the Far East (Karachi, Calcutta, and Colombo) and Europe (Le Havre, Leghorn, and Bremerhaven). G eneral G. O. Squier reached Norfolk 22 June and decommissioned 10 July 1946. Returned to WSA 18 July 1946, she entered the National Defense Reserve Fleet at James River, Va. She was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Corp. 7 April 1964, converted to a genera l cargo ship, and renamed Pennmar 27 May 1965.
General G. O. Squier was awarded one battle star for World War II service.