(AO-97: dp. 7295; l. 553'; b. 45'; dr. 32'4"; s. 18.3kts.; cpl. 304; a. 1 5", 4 3"; cl. Cimarron)
Allagash (AO-97) was launched 14 April 1945
by Bethlehem-Sparrows Point Shipyard, Inc., Sparrows Point, Md. under a
Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Reuben D. Vining; acquired
by the Navy on a loan-charter basis 21 August 1945; and commissioned the
same day, Captain B.N. Ward in command.
Completed too late to participate in World War II, Allagash underwent shakedown and training exercises until December 1945. In January 1946 she joined the Naval Overseas Transportation Service and for the next three years carried oil, mainly between Texas and east coast ports. Between August 1947 and April 1948 she made two trips to the Persian Gulf for oil and between July and September 1948 fueled vessels of the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. Since November 1948, Allagash has rendered logistic support in the Atlantic, Carribbean and Mediterranean under Commander, Service Forces Atlantic Fleet.