The second Anacostia (AO-94) was launched
24 September 1944 by Marinship Corp., Sausalito, Calif., under a Maritime
Commission contract as Mission Alamo; sponsored by Mrs. H.F. Bruns,
wife of Rear Admiral Bruns; transferred to the Navy 25 February 1945;
and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander T. H. Hoffman, USNR,
Anacostia joined the Pacific Fleet in May 1945. Between then and September she shuttled between Ulithi and Okinawa carrying aviation gasoline. In October and November she served as a station tanker for the Army Air Base at Kanoya, Kyushu. Remaining in the Far East through February 1946, Anacostia then returned to Mobile, Ala., arriving 30 March. She was placed out of commission, in reserve 16 April 1946, and returned to the Maritime Commision the same day.
She was reacquired 28 February 1948 and serves with the Military Sea Transportation Service in a non-commissioned status, manned by a civil service crew.
Anacostia (AO-94) received one battle star for her support of the Okinawa invasion.