From: DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN NAVAL FIGHTING SHIPS, Vol. II, p. 345
A river in Washington State.
(AO-55: dp. 7,236; l. 563'; b. 75'; dr. 32' 4"; s. 18.3 k.; cpl. 298; a. 1 5", 4 3"; cl. Cimarron)
Elokomin (AO-55) was launched 19 October 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Shipyards, Sparrow's Point, Md., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. C. M. Marcey, transferred to the Navy 30 January 1943, and commissioned 30 November 1943, Comm ander J. A. Ivaldi, USNR, in command.
From January to August 1944 Elokomin was almost constantly at sea transporting fuel oil, diesel oil, and gasoline from Gulf ports to Norfolk, New York, Argentia, and Bermuda. On 2 September she sailed with a convoy for Oran, Algeria, refueling the convoy escorts during the passage and discharging fuel oil to the dock at Oran upon arrival. She reached Bermuda 14 October, and after discharging the remainder of her cargo, returned to Norfolk 4 days later. Two similar voyages were made to Casablanca af ter which she served as station tanker at Bermuda in March and April 1945.
Elokomin returned to coastwise and Caribbean duty until the end of the war. She continued on active service and from her base at Norfolk, operated mainly along the east coast and on fleet exercises. She alternated this duty with 6th Fleet tours in the Mediterranean and North Atlantic Treaty Organization exercises in European waters through 1962.