From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A tree of the bittersweet family.
AN - 47: dp. 1,100 l. 194'6" b. 37'
dr. 13'6" s. 12.1 k. cpl. 56 a. 1 x 3"
Canotia (AN-47) was launched 4 July 1944 by Everett-Pacific Co., Everett, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. F. Schmitz; commissioned 31 July 1944, Lieutenant Commander W. G. Holly, USNR, in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Canotia departed San Francisco 6 October 1944 for Pearl Harbor where she arrived 16 October. She provided target service to ships training at this great base until 5 February 1945, when she was outward bound for action waters. Arriving at Eniwetok 15 February, she reported for duty with the 5th Fleet, and sailed to Iwo Jima, where she had mooring and salvage duty from 28 February to 12 April. The first portion of this duty came as bitter action raged ashore, and enemy air attacks still menaced American shipping.
After routine repairs at Guam, Canotia arrived at Ulithi 14 June to install and maintain nets. After the Japanese surrender, Canotia cruised the small islands of the western Carolines searching for American and Allied ex-prisoners of war, or Japanese soldiers. She received the surrender of the garrison on Lamotrek, and destroyed a Japanese supply dump on Olimarao. Between 23 September and 1 October, she removed net defenses at Ulithi and Kossol Roads, and on 26 October, cleared for San Diego where she was decommissioned 18 February 1946, and sold 21 April 1947.
Canotia received one battle star for World War II service.
Transcribed by: firstname.lastname@example.org
HTML conversion by: epm
Date: 18 Mar 1999