From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Baretta is a tree.
(AN-41: dp. 1100; l. 194'7"; b. 37'; dr. 13'6"; s. 12.1 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3"; cl. Ailanthus)
Baretta (AN-41) was launched 9 October 1943 by Everett-Pacific Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Everett, Wash., as YN-60; sponsored by Miss Evelyn Jaramo; renamed Baretta and reclassified AN-41, 20 January 1944; and commissioned 18 March 1944, Lieutenant Commander R. L. Collins in command.
Operating out of Pearl Harbor, Baretta laid and repaired moorings and anti-submarine nets until 8 August 1944. Departing Pearl Harbor she sailed to Guadalcanal to prepare for the coming invasion of the western Caroline Islands. Arriving off the beaches of Angaur, Palau Islands, 20 September 1944, Baretta tended nets and moorings until 11 January 1945. On 4 October 1944 she rescued 11 survivors from the stricken LCT-579 which had struck a mine.
Between 11 January and 8 September 1945 Baretta tended nets at Ulithi, Caroline Islands; Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands, Pearl Harbor, Guam, Marianas Islands; and Okinawa. She then steamed to Japan to assist in the occupation. Upon her return to the United States she underwent pre-inactivation overhaul at Mare Island Navy Yard, was decommissioned 4 April 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 24 January 1947.
Baretta received one battle star for her service during the western Caroline Islands operation.