From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Acubens is the brightest star In the
(AKS-5:dp. 5244; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s.12.5 k.; cpl. 193; a. 1 5", 4 3"; cl. Acubens )
Acubens (AKS-5) was launched 8 January 1944 by Delta Shipbuilding Co., New Orleans, La., for the Maritime Commission; sponsored by Mrs. J. A. Farrington; transferred to the Navy 9 February 1944; converted Into a general stores Issue ship by Todd-Johnson Dry Docks, Inc., New Orleans; and commissioned 15 July 1944, Commander E. B. Ellis, USNR, In command.
Joining the Pacific Fleet, Acubens arrived at Hollandia Bay, New Guinea, 25 October 1944. From then until 25 November 1945 she issued stores to fleet units at Hollandia; Leyte; Subic Bay, Luzon; Davao, Mindanao; Tarakan, Borneo; and Manila.
Acubens departed the Philippines 25 November 1945 and returned to San Francisco, arriving 22 December. The vessel was stripped and returned to Pearl Harbor 26 January 1946 for decommissioning. She was decommissioned 11 March 1916 and returned to the Maritime Commission 20 June 1947.
Transcribed by: epm
Date: 25 April 1999