From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
An astronomical body.
(AKS - 11: dp. 14,350; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 195; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; cl. Acubens ; T. EC2-S-C1)
Gratia (AKS-11) was launched under Maritime Commission contract by Delta Shipbuilding Co., New Orleans, La., 21 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John W. Boatwright; acquired by the Navy 20 November 1944; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Charles B. Gray in command.
She remained in commission only long enough to sail to Galveston, where she decommissioned 3 November to undergo conversion. She recommissioned 5 May 1945, Lt. Comdr. William Jonelli in command, and sailed for the Pacific as part of Service Squadron 8. Operating out of Manila, Gratia carried stores and passengers to ports in the Philippines, the Admiralties, and New Guinea. In January 1946, she departed Manila the final time, reaching San Francisco 4 April via various Japanese ports and Pearl Harbor. After returning to Pearl Harbor 30 May, Gratia decommissioned there 1 July 1946, and was towed to San Francisco. Her name was struck from the Navy Register 17 July 1947, and she was transferred to the Maritime Commission. Gratia was part of the National Defense Reserve Fleet, berthed in Suisun Bay Calif., until the fall of 1964 when she was scrapped.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)