From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Banner is a county in Nebraska.
(AKL-25: dp. 550; l. 177'; b. 33'; dr. 10'; s. 12 k. ; cpl. 40; cl. Camano)
The second Banner (AKL-25) was built by Kewaukee Shipbuilding and Engineering Corp., Kewaukee, Wis., for the Army as FS-345; transferred to the Navy 1 July 1950, commissioned 24 November 1952, Lieutenant H. W. Atkisson in command, and assigned to Service Division 51, Pacific Fleet.
On 3 February 1953 she departed Pearl Harbor with a cargo of general stores for Guam, stopping enroute at Midway. From 1953 through 1956 Banner has operated with the Service Force in the Pacific, transporting miscellaneous supplies, diesel fuel oil, ammunition, and passengers between Guam and Yokosuka, Japan, via Chichi Jima in the Bonin Islands. She also carried cargo to other Pacific islands, including Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Saipan, and Luzon.