From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A constellation of the Southern Hemisphere.
(AK - 92: dp. 4,672; l. 44'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 206; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Crater)
Eridanus (AK-92) was launched 9 April 1943 by Permanente Metals Corp., Richmond, Calif., as Luther Burbank; sponsored by Mrs. Luther Burbank; acquired by the Navy 22 April 1943; and commissioned 8 May 1943, Lieutenant Commander F. W. Johnson, USCGR, in command.
Eridanus carried cargo and passengers between west coast ports and bases in the southwest Pacific, the Hawaiians, New Zealand, the Philippines, and the Palaus from 26 June 1943 to 3 February 1946, often making lengthy tows in addition to her cargo operations. Almost constantly at sea, she played her part in the Navy's gigantic task of carrying supplies for its ships and shore bases, as well as for the Marines and Army, half way round the world at the same time as it carried on combat operations. In February 1944 she made a direct contribution to the troops seizing islands in the northern Solomons, bringing cargo and passengers to Bougainville.
Her last service was a long and difficult towing job, in which she took section of a dry dock from Eniwetok, sailing 4 February 1946, to Hampton Roads, Va., arriving 16 April. She was decommissioned at Baltimore 8 May 1946, and returned to her owner 15 May 1946.
Eridanus received one battle star for World War II service.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)