From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A satellite of Saturn.
(AK - 80: t. 1,677; l. 269'10"; b. 42'6"; dr. 20'9"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 83; a. 1 3"; cl. Enceladus)
Enceladus (AK-80) was built by the Penn Jersey Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N.J., in 1942; acquired and commissioned by the Navy on 18 August 1943, Lieutenant Melville M. Coombs, USCGR, in command.
During World War II she operated entirely in the southwest Pacific, all the while Coast Guard manned. She shuttled supplies between supply bases which included Noumea, New Caledonia, Tongatabu, Torokina, Bougainville, Emirau, and Guadalcanal. She was occupied with interisland freight traffic until 4 August 1945 when she arrived at Pearl Harbor. Enceladus was decommissioned on 18 December 1945 and turned over to the Maritime Commission.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)