From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Adhara is a star in the constellation
(AK-71: dp. 4023; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 198; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Crater)
Adhara (AK-71) was launched 27 October 1942 by Perinanente Metals Corp., Yard No. 2, Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract as G. H. Carliss; sponsored by Miss Ginny Simms; transferred to the Navy 6 November 1942; and commissioned ten days later, Commander W. W. Ball, USNR, in command.
Adhara spent World War II as an inter-island transport with Service Squadron 8 in the South Pacific and Marianas. She was slightly damaged by a Japanese air attack in the southern Solomons 7 April 1943. On 30 August 1945 she returned to Seattle, Wash., and then steamed to Baltimore, Md., where she was decominissioned 3 December 1945 and returned to the Maritime Commission 11 December 1945.
Adhara received two battle stars for participation in the consolidation of the southern Solomons and the Okinawa operation (8-27 May 1945).
Transcribed by: epm
Date: 25 April 1999