From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A county in Pennsylvania.
dr. 21'1" s. 12 k. cpl. 79 a. 1 x 3"
Clarion (AK-172) was launched 22 October 1944 by Froemming Brothers, Inc., Milwaukee, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss V. L. Huebner; acquired by the Navy 10 May 1945; and commissioned 27 May 1945, Lieutenant F. L. Johnson, USNR, in command.
After loading cargo at Gulf ports, Clarion sailed for Pearl Harbor, which she reached 21 July 1945. Three days later she got underway for San Francisco to load cargo for Manila, where she arrived 1 October. Carrying cargo to support occupation activities, she called at Jinsen, Korea, and Tsingtao, Taku, and Shanghai, China, before sailing for the east coast from Tsingtao 21 January 1946. She reached Norfolk 11 March, and was decommissioned at Baltimore 13 May 1946. On 18 May 1946 she was transferred to the War Shipping Administration.