From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Counties in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.
dr. 21'1" s. 12 k. cpl. 79 a. 1 x 3"
Claiborne (AK-171) was launched 3 September 1944 by Froemming Brothers, Inc., Milwaukee, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Miss L. Kapczynski; and commissioned 19 April 1945 at New Orleans, Lieutenant R. B. Johnston in command.
Claiborne departed Gulfport, Miss., 20 May 1945 and arrived at Hollandia, New Guinea, 5 July. For the next 6 months she operated in the Philippines and New Guinea areas, carrying food, and supplies, and helping to redeploy troops among the various islands. The cargo ship sailed from Manila 6 January 1946, for Yokosuka, Japan, anchoring there 13 January. Claiborne was decommissioned and transferred to the War Shipping Administration at Tokyo 7 February 1946.