From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Blount is the name of counties in Alabama and Tennessee.
(AK-163: dp. 2382; l. 338'8"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3", cl. Alamosa)
Blount (AK-163) was launched 19 October 1944 by Kaiser Cargo Co., Inc., Richmond, Calif., for the Maritime Commission; sponsored by Mrs. R. E. St. Claire; transferred to the Navy 26 January 1945, and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant W. H. Leverett, USNR, in command.
Reporting to the Pacific Fleet, Blount arrived at Manus, Admiralty Islands, 8 April 1945. She operated from there carrying supplies to Biak Island, Schouten Islands; Borneo, and the Philippines until January 1946. Leaving the Philippines 5 January 1946, she arrived at Norfolk 10 March. Decommissioned at Baltimore 18 April 1946, she was returned to the Maritime Commission six days later.