From Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships,
Vol. VI (1976), pp. 215
A pale yellow star in the constellation Ophiuchus of the Northern Hemisphere.
(AK-121: dp. 12,350, l. 416'; b. 56'11"; dr. 24'6", s. 13 k.; cpl. 216; trp. 1,054; a. 1 5", 4 40mm; cl. Crater; T. EC2-S-C1)
Sabik (AK-121) was laid down as William Becknell (MCE hull 2423) on 8 November 1943 by the Todd Houston Shipbuilding Corp., Houston, Tex.; renamed Sabik on 13 November, Iaunched on 17 December sponsored by Mrs. Johnnie L. Armstrong, accepted by WSA for United States Navy use on 29 December and moved to New Orleans, La., to undergo conversion by Todd-Johnson Dry Docks, Inc.; and commissioned on 19 April 1944, Lt. Comdr. Harry Corman in command.
Following shakedown off Norfolk, Va., Sabik proceeded to Bayonne, N.J., where she loaded cargo and marines and sailed on 5 June for the New Hebrides. She arrived at Espiritu Santo on 13 July and then continued on to the Russell Islands, commencing a schedule of inter-island shuttle runs that ranged the southwestern Pacific during the course of the war. For nearly 15 months, the cargo ship plied the waters between Guadalcanal, Tulagi, Munda, the Russells the New Hebrides, Bougainville, Peleliu, Anguar, Uiithi, Eniwetok, Manus, Hollandia, Guam, Saipan, and Tinian. She participated in landings, during this time, at the Tacloban and Dulag beaches on Leyte, and at the Hagushi beaches on Okinawa. She finally sailed for Pearl Harbor on 29 July 1945, arriving on 13 August. She then proceeded to San Francisco, passing under the Golden Gate on 22 August.
Following long needed repairs, Sabik departed the Mare Island Naval Shipyard on 14 September en route to Guam and Majuro for "Magic Carpet" duty. Returning troops to the United States, she returned to San Francisco exactly three months later on 24 December and remained there to await inactivation. Sabik decommissioned on 19 March 1946 and was returned to WSA the same day for lay-up at Suisun Bay. Struck from the Navy list on 17 April 1946 the ship resumed her original name, William Becknell, and remained in the National Defense Reserve Fleet until sold for scrapping on 30 October 1961 to Union Minerals and Alloys Corp., New York City, N.Y.