From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
The third satellite of the planet Jupiter, and a shepherdess in Shakespeare's As You Like It.
(AK - 104: dp. (t.) 14,350; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 219; a. 1 5", 4 40 mm.; cl. Crater)
Ganymede, formerly merchant ship James W. Nye, was launched under Maritime Commission contract 8 June 1943, by the Permanente Metals Corp., Richmond, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. William C. Dalby of Oakland; acquired 23 June 1943; commissioned 31 July 1943, Lt. Comdr. Glenn H. Melichar in command.
After shakedown training out of Oakland, Calif., Ganymede departed San Francisco 28 August 1943 carrying military cargo to Pallikulo Bay, New Hebrides, and to Queensland, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia. Assigned to the 7th Fleet Service Force, she sailed from Queensland 29 November 1943 with fuel, supplies, and passengers for Milne and Langemak Bays, New Guinea and thence returned to Australia. During the next 12 months she transported military cargo of many types and provided limited passenger service from ports of Australia to bases in New Guinea, including Humboldt Bay, Milne Bay, Cape Sudest and Terahmerah Bay [sic; Tanahmerah Bay]. Her itinerary was expanded in February 1945 to include Leyte, Manila, Subic Bay and Samar in the Philippines, with occasional calls at Manus, Admiralty Islands.
Ganymede continued her busy Australia-New Guinea-Philippines-Australia supply circuit until 20 November when she departed Brisbane, Australia for the United States arriving San Francisco 18 December. She remained in port until 25 February 1946 when she sailed for Pearl Harbor to take part in special explosive tests prior to her decommissioning there 15 April 1946. Towed back to San Francisco, her name was struck from the Navy List 1 August 1947 and she was returned to WSA 1 October 1947 and entered the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif., where she remains.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)