From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Commander Richard B. Derickson (1873-1942), USC&GS, rendered distinguished service in field assignments along the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of the United States and in the South Pacific Ocean, and had notable achievements as Assistant Chief of the Coast and Geodetic Survey's Hydrographic Division and Director of Coast Surveys in the Philippine Islands.
PCS-1458 was launched by Ballard Marine Railway Company of Seattle, Washington, on 6 November 1943. Title was vested with the Navy, but she was loaned to the Coast and Geodetic Survey on 17 May 1944. She was renamed and reclassified Derickson (AGS-6) on 27 May 1944 and permanently transferred to Department of Commerce on 23 November 1948.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)