From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A centaur of Greek mythology, known for his skill in medicine.
dr. 13'6" s. 12 k. cpl. 119 a. 8 x 40 mm.
LST-1133 was reclassified AGP 18 and named Chiron on 14 August 1944; launched 10 March 1945 by Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, Ill.; sponsored by Mrs. T. S. Tillman; placed in partial commission 23 March 1945; decommissioned 17 April 1945 for conversion at Maryland Drydock Co., Baltimore, Md.; and commissioned in full 18 September 1945, Lieutenant Commander P. L. Mangold, USNR, in command.
Chiron sailed from Norfolk 1 November 1945 for Miami, arriving 4 November to service Motor Torpedo Squadron 42 until 8 December. On 14 December she sailed for New York where she was decommissioned 20 February 1946, and sold 19 May 1947.