From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Acontius , a mythological character, was
a beautiful youth on the Island of Ceos.
(AGP-12:dp. 5236; l. 413'; b. 60'; dr. 22'6"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 289; a. 1 5"; cl. Acontius )
Acontius (AGP-12) was launched 12 October 1943 for the Maritime Commission by Pusey and Jones Corp., Wilmington, Del., as Cape Carthage; Sponsored by Mrs. J. H. Deinlein; transferred to the Navy 22 December 1943; and commissioned 23 June 1944, Lieutenant Commander R. G. Heppard, USNR, in command.
Reporting to the Paciflc Fleet, Acontius arrived at Tulagi, Soloinon Islands, 18 September 1944. For the remainder of World War II she tended motor torpedo boat squadrons at Tulagi; Blanche Harbor, Treasury Islands; Palau; Leyte; and Samar. She returned to San Francisco in January 1946; was decommissioned 22 March 1946; and transferred to the Maritime Commission the same day.
Transcribed by: epm
Date: 25 April 1999