From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, V. 3, 1968, p. 322.
An island off the coast of Maine.
(AG-145: dp. 515; l. 177'; b. 33'; dr. 10'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 52; a 2 50 cal. mg.; cl. Camano)
Hewell (AG-145) was launched in 1944 by United States Concrete Pipe Corp., Los Angeles, Calif.; served
the United States Army as FS-391; acquired by the Navy 2 February 1948, and commissioned 5 June 1948, Lt. (j.g.)
J. W. Hinkleman in command.
Hewell's shakedown took her through then Pacific to Guam, Midway, and Saipan. As part of the Service Force, Pacific. Hewell operated in support of America's far-flung Asian defenses. Reclassified AKL-14 in June 1949 she continued her duties of transporting cargo through the vast pacific areas covered by the U.S. Navy. when Communist troops began their onslaught on the Korean peninsula in June 1950, Hewell shifted her base of operations to Japan. Shuttle trips to the Korean coast kept American and Allied units, both naval and land, supplied with stores and ammunition. Overhaul at Pearl Harbor and tactical training designed to keep Hewell in a state of readiness varied her duties out of Japan.
With the end of hostilities in Korea in August 1953, Hewell continued to make frequent supply voyages from Japan to occupying troops until June 1954, when she made a final swing through the Pacific Island bases. Hewell departed Hawaii for home in mid-October 1954, remaining at Astoria, Oreg., until she decommissioned there 15 March 1955 and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Hewell remained there until 1 November 1959 when her name was stricken from the Navy List and sold to Steve Pickard 2 June 1960.
Hewell received seven battle stars for Korean service.
Transcribed by Richard H. Bouchard.